Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Thoughts

I've been thinking today about various bills that were brought before the voting public in some states concerning prostitution, homosexuality, and abortion. I was exited to hear about how some of the proposed amendments fared and disappointed about others.

As I was thinking about that this morning, I remembered the following verses:

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.
I Corinthians 6:9-11

You know, I think that as Christians we tend to easily fall into the trap of feeling self-righteously better than others. There are so many ways that this temptation comes, and this morning I found myself beginning to feel a notch above people who participate in such grievous sins. Then God brought the above verses to my mind.

And it hit me. God classified my coveting, putting other things before Him, and bad-mouthing others in the same exact category as He classifies other's homosexuality and immorality. My sin is just as vile and filthy as theirs, and condemned me before my righteous God just as much as theirs condemns them. God loves them and died to free them just as much as He loves and died for me.

Wow.

He has washed me from the filthy, vile sin, set me apart from it as a person holy for Him, He took my penalty and put His own perfect righteousness on me. It was the ultimate makeover. I no longer live a life given to sin. I am no longer condemned!

Wow. I feel almost speechless with wonder and delight over His goodness. May He give me grace to love others as He does and to spread the news of His marvelous, freeing, life giving, loving grace!

No comments: