Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Created to be His Helpmeet, Chapter 5

The Gift of Wisdom

What God says:

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. (James 1:5)

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. (James 3:17)

My thoughts:

James 1:5 has long been one of my favorite verses, and it is SO comforting to know that God has all sorts of wisdom that I can get for the asking.  The best part?  He’s never annoyed by my requests, and He will never scold me for asking for wisdom.  The hairy part?  When I know what He wants me to do (by His clear revelation in Scripture, for example), and I am reluctant to obey.  That’s where faith comes in.  Believing that God knows what He’s talking about (even when it doesn’t seem to make sense).  Believing that He will give me deep peace and true joy when I obey Him (even when humanly speaking the thing He is asking me to do is the opposite of what should make me happy).  Believing that He will give me wisdom to act in faithful obedience and doing what He wants me to do.

I am rejoicing today because there was recently a situation in my marriage in which I didn’t want to obey God.  But He gave me faith and wisdom, and I did.  I was able to build up my husband and become a stronger woman though it.   I did obey God, and let me tell you, it was worth it!

Favorite quotations from the book:

“There will be times in your marriage when it will take faith and wisdom to believe that God is good, kind, and just in His command for you to submit to your husband in everything… What God said stands, regardless of the man’s goodness or the apparent lack thereof.  You were given your blueprints with words like honor, submit, and reverence.  This is God’s will and way, His directive and pattern for you to model.  It is up to us to believe and obey God.”

“I thank God that wisdom is not earned; it is a gift.”

A practical goal for this week:

~Pray for wisdom daily as I run into situations where I lack understanding and pay attention to the answers God gives.  Act of what I know God wants me to do.

2 comments:

stitching under oaks said...

I love that you're doing this book and sharing your insights. Thanks so much.

SarahZ said...

It seems that everything you do, you do beautifully!
I am so glad this was a "findable" topic. It is one that is dear to me and my husband, and one the Lord has so blessed us in.
Although I've not read this book, your reactions would ertainly seem to be "spot on"
Thank you for sharing!