Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cake. For Breakfast.

Why not? After all, I'm the mom now.
Plus, my tasty homemade cake is probably more nutritious
than sugary cereals anyway.

This is the best chocolate cake recipe I've encountered anywhere. It is moist and flavorful and even friendly for people who have dairy and egg allergies.
Chocolate Cake
~Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
~Grease and four a 9"x13" pan or two 9" round pans. (To fill up the 9"x13" pan almost to the top you need to 1 1/2 times this recipe. Ready for some math?)
~Sift into a large mixing bowl:
2 1/4 cups four (add another 1/4 cup if you live at high altitude like I do)
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder (hint: 4 tablespoons=1/4 cup)
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
~Whisk into the dry ingredients until well combined:
1 1/2 cups water (or milk)
1 1/2 tablespoon vinegar (balsamic is my favorite kind to use)
7 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
~Pour into the prepared pans and bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean.
~Cool completely before frosting.
This frosting is irresistibly eat-it-with-a-spoon good. Well, it would be if it wasn't so rich that it becomes cloying by itself. Paired with the slight bitterness of the chocolate cake, though, it is, well, words fail to describe it.

Caramel Frosting

~Mix in a saucepan:
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup milk

~Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring frequently.
~Boil it for 4-5 minutes without stirring.
~Transfer to a mixing bowl and cool to room temperature.

Add:
1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar

~Beat until smooth and uniformly pale brown.
~Frost the cake.
~Enjoy.

(Really, folks, I wasn't joking when I said it's irresistible...)

3 comments:

Tammie said...

like you never ate cake for breakfast when you weren't the mom. . .
lol.

hatingclutter said...

I like changing the "rules" about meal times! Sounds good to me. Pie tomorrow ... or cake ... or pizza ...

Ben said...

um... I vote for pizza. But my body votes for oatmeal.