Sunday, May 9, 2010

motherhood

poignant joys
sweetest sorrows

days stretch out
nights interrupted

i give
and give again
more is demanded
i wonder if i can keep on

endurance fails
emotions fray
strength flags


small hand clasps mine
bright eyes meet my tired gaze
"i love you, mama" sounds in my ears
smiles meet me unexpectedly
i am greeted by laughter
joy and song

love floods my being
with beautiful, piercing pain
motivates me to indeed keep on
as my weariness abates
i even go beyond
mere survival
i delight
create
teach
laugh
sing
joy

yes, my days are full

full of love and
pure, poignant joys
tempered with sweet sorrows

4 comments:

schullerfamily said...

did you write this? It's really profound!

Christina said...

yes, I actually did.

Tammie said...

you caught it perfectly, dld.

stitching under oaks said...

you have a wonderful talent with words...beautiful.