Thursday, June 24, 2010

Birthday Gift #1

This week we had two birthday parties to attend: one on Monday and one on Tuesday. Besides having an opportunity to eat cake, visit with people, and help them celebrate, birthday parties are fun because they give me an excuse to make things! The party on Monday was in celebration of my newest little flute student's eleventh birthday.

When I was younger and making the weekly trek to music lessons, I had a handy, generously sized tote bag that was just perfect for hauling my flute and stack of music books around. Inspired by that memory, I decided to make a music bag as a birthday gift for my student.

I used re-purposed denim for the outside of this basic tote bag and a cheery sunflower print for the lining. Just for fun I machine appliquéd a sunflower on the outside of the bag to coordinate with the lining.

It was a fun project, and aside from having to start over with all new fabric because the first fabric I chose began to disintegrate when the original bag was almost complete, it was a quick one too. The best part, though, was when my flute student saw it and lit up, exclaiming, "This is wonderful!"

1 comment:

stitching under oaks said...

such a wonderful gift and it sounds like the bag will get much use. Very nice job Christina.