Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Roasted Vegetable Soup

When my parents' neighbors gave us a generous number of carrots, potatoes, and parsnips from their large and beautiful garden, I knew instantly what I would make with them: roasted vegetable soup. It's the perfect autumn dish: warm and flavorful and satisfying.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Wash or scrub and slice:
3 carrots
2 leeks
1 parsnip
2 potatoes

Toss sliced vegetables with:
1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil

Spread on a cookie sheet.

Sprinkle with:
salt and pepper to taste

Bake for 20-30 minutes
until the vegetables are soft
and have golden edges.

Combine in a pot:
(in your preferred proportions)
to make 3-4 cups of broth
(depending on how brothy you like your soups).

Add roasted vegetables to broth and bring to a boil.
Sample and adjust seasonings as desired.

Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese
and serve with crackers or fresh bread.

Enjoy!
This time I sliced and roasted about quadruple the amount of vegetables and froze the surplus for use in future soups. I hope it works as well as I think it will because this soup is one of my favorites!

P.S. If you haven't entered my two-year blogiversary giveaway yet, please do!

2 comments:

Larissa said...

yum, i love roasted veggies and your soup looks delicious! Happy belated Birthday to your Little guy! He is beautiful - as are your words to him.

stitching under oaks said...

this sounds wonderful...when the weather cools off, i'm going to have to try this!