Friday, December 23, 2011

handmade Christmas 2011

As one of my friends said: "Having a little girl is everything it's cracked up to be."  It's true.  Having a little girl is so much fun.  I have so many pent up girly projects fermenting in my brain that I had an exceptionally difficult time deciding what to make for my little Sweet Pea for Christmas.

After much contemplation, I decided to make a little doll.  One that (just for fun) would coordinate with her nursery nook and red knit cap girl art.


Honestly, I was a little disappointed with how she turned out and almost made a second one.  However, upon further consideration, I decided that she's going to get drooled and chewed on and that peace (as in not cramming my schedule with unnecessary tasks) was more important than perfection.  She did turn out pretty cute, and I don't regret my decision.


I also made a little dolly blanket to go with her.  I used some of the last nursery-nook fabric scraps and the red fabric I had left over from the dolly to make a very simple top which I embelished with coordinating ribbon, rick-rack, and fancy machine stitching.  For some inexplicable reason I get a faint Scandinavian vibe from it.


The back of the blanket is pale, buttery yellow flannel so that the dollies who use it will be extra warm and comfortable.


It's a bit of a gift for her to grow into, but then, at four months old, most gifts won't be fully appreciated for a while.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

She looks perfect to me! Certainly no need to make another one. Think this little red dolly might become one of those 'favourites' that get carried around everywhere (once she's a bit bigger of course)!

stitching under oaks said...

I love the little doll! she's adorable and perfect for litte hands. The blanket is wonderful too...great job for sure!

Tammie said...

a sweet li'l doll for a sweet li'l girl.

Emily Real said...

Agreed--she's perfect! I was surprised to hear that you even thought about a re-do. Absolutely adorable...only enhancement will be when she's in Sweet Pea's hands. :)